Water Intrusion Into Your Home – What To Do

Image by Plume Ploume from Pixabay

A homeowner knows that a residence requires a lot of work.  You might be able to repair a broken doorbell or call a plumber for a clogged toilet, but if you see water on the interior of the home, it may be time to call a serious expert.  This is especially true if your house is relatively new, and such issues aren’t easily explained by simple issues, like an old roof.  Instead, water intrusion, especially around windows and doors or penetrations, such as chimneys, may indicate that your home has construction defects.

If you are concerned about the cause of the water intrusion, then it may be a good idea to consult with an attorney and engage a forensic architect or engineer.  These forensic experts are skilled at sleuthing out the underlying issue.

When a home is constructed, one of the most important jobs of the contractor is to ensure that the various trades install proper materials so that the structure keeps water out.  To do so, flashing must be installed at important locations such as at windows, doors, and roof-to-wall intersections.  The general contractor must schedule and coordinate the various subcontractors so that they do their work in such an order to cause the exterior to shed water, rather than allow it to enter the home.

Experts will tell you that water – over time – is one of the most destructive forces in nature.  I have observed situations where water has caused wooden structural members to dissolve entirely.  Consequently, it is important to investigate and address these issues early on.  If water has entered the structure due to the negligence of the builder, then you may be able to make a legal claim to have the damage repaired and your home repaired.